4.01.2009

happy april 1st!

It's been a frustrating week for knitting. I think that largely this is self-doubt or lack of confidence in my current projects, but this has definitely been a week of ripping everything apart. Starting with my newest acquisition: this super-bright sock yarn. Like all knitters, I am susceptible to buying random skeins of pretty sock yarn. You can always validate it by saying "oh, it's just one skein and it'll make a whole pair of socks!" while completely ignoring the reality of the situation: you will NEVER knit all the skeins you have stashed away. Never.

Anyway, I began knitting my new socks immediately. I had no business doing this, I just wanted something different to knit. Then I didn't like the pattern I was using. I didn't like anything about it. So I ripped it out and am back to the drawing board! In fact, I have exiled the ball of yarn to my closet for a while in an attempt to be reasonable and knit only what I have started already.

Well that worked for about five minutes. (Apparently I'm chronically dissatisfied AND suffer from Attention Deficit Disorder, no offense intended towards anybody. I blame coffee. Coffee? Where?) I began yet another pair of socks! This time I followed a pattern (available for free at Interweave Knits' website, look for William Street Socks) because I just needed somebody to tell me what to do. My mind clearly wasn't working on its own. Now I'm wondering if I screwed up the cables or if they're supposed to look like that, so I'm forcing myself to keep knitting and to stop being a perfectionist/doubting. However, I am feeling quite smug that I learned how to start a sock from the toe up. It's pretty freaking sweet.

Yarns shown: yellow is ONline Supersocke 100, purple is Arucania Atacama...which was a huge flop retail-wise but which I still really love. I don't know what that says about my taste...haha.

1 comment:

  1. maybe try 3x1 rib on the yellow yarn, it's my favorite look for self striping yarn

    ReplyDelete