4.27.2009

i see the strings that control the system

Spring finally feels like it's really, really here. I have my window open- and will leave it open- all night for the first time yet this year. With the arrival of spring, I have sprung into about a dozen half-thought-out, new projects. One of these will feature the above yarn: this traveled to me from Ireland (a previous post featured genuine Irish aran yarn, this is from the same trip). It's Colinette Point 5, a hand-dyed chunky wool. The colors are stunning, this picture doesn't do them justice...since there's a relatively small amount of yardage per skein, I will be combining it with the yarn shown below:

This is another hand-dyed yarn, Louisa Harding's Grace. It's half silk and half wool, I've had my eye on this color ever since our first Kniterary Club meeting (the yarn itself I have loved dearly since it debuted). It was such a strange color that I was at a loss to find an appropriate project...besides, variegated yarns always pose more of a challenge by nature. The combination of these two yarns will be epic- either an epic failure (and expensive, and sad) or an epic success.

Springtime + coffee = higher likelihood of ridiculous knitting projects. Isn't it great???

4 comments:

  1. I guess I didn't make it back from my cousin's wedding in time for Kniterary Club [i'd insert a sad face here, but emoticons annoy me]
    I wish that I had... not only b/c I missed knitting, but b/c it was 48 degrees and pouring up north, and sunny and 80 down here.

    Can you make a homework assignment for next week? Something like everyone should come in with a ridiculous project. I could use an excuse to start one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooh, pretty! What sort of magic are you going to work with this glorious yarn?? That sweater you're working on from a few posts ago is breathtaking, so many cables. You amaze me.

    I have decided that four-inch rhinestone encrusted stilettos are not the best choice for my recital, and stumbled upon a glorious pair of practically-new Clarks sandals at that little shop right near Opitz (I hardly ever find anything there, but when I do it's AMAZING.) I feel like you need to know these things.

    Side note...I am starting to worry about your caffeine intake.

    xoxoxoxo

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sweater isn't mine, I'm just assembling it!

    Hahaha, I think shoe discussions should be classified as the inane portion of the blog. I'm jealous of your shoes, I desperately need some new footwear as I'm destroying shoes at an alarming rate.

    You missed the knitting meeting where my Aunt said "hmm, maybe you should cut back on the coffee" and I put my head down on the table and started giggling, saying "but I'm so happy!" Hahahahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That yarn is gorgeous! It looks like the ocean...And the one you're pairing it with looks awesome too. Your ability to match fibrous materials in aesthtically pleasing ways never ceases to amaze me!

    I wholeheartedly believe that coffee releases endorphins, prevents cancer, and will someday cure the common cold. Giggling fits and tremors pale in comparison.

    ReplyDelete