6.04.2010

darling where's your soul

This scarf was finished last summer, I just never got around to taking a picture of it...or should I say, never got around to pressing friends and relations into my service. It's just because they're really good at what they do- my brother puts my modest photography to shame.

The scarf is knit out of Berroco Mica, a yarn I raved and raved about last summer. It's a silk blend (so it smells kind of funny, but if you're a yarn geek like me you'll like it), and when knitted it has a nice shine and texture. This scarf is massive- it used 10 skeins! The crochet edging is my favorite...if you look closely at the bottom right you can see the little baubles (?) crocheted around. It was quite an obstacle to teach myself how to do that since crochet is NOT my forte, but a couple hours of NPR podcasts later I had my edging done.

The scarf itself is absolutely gorgeous. Norah Gaughan at Berroco (their head designer, artistic director, whatever, the word escapes me) is a genius. The only problem with this is that the yarn is SO heavy it kind of feels like you're choking when you wear it...this makes me really sad and also irrationally crabby at the same time. Does that happen to you when your clothes aren't fitting the right way? Anyway. Someday I might re-knit this scarf in a wool-silk blend so it wouldn't be so heavy, would still have a nice shine, and I could wear it in the winter. The pattern was fun to knit so it wouldn't be awful to do again, and like I said before, the edging is just adorable. Someday.

4 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! I bet in fall it would be an awesome scarf/shawl. A bit of weight is nice when it starts getting cool. The edging is fantastic. I've done crochet bobbles in the midst of fabric but never as edging. It's quite charming. And, I want to steal your sandals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really heavy, though! So if you wear it wound around once more, like a normal scarf, it pulls itself tight! If you wear it on the moon, though- golden! I'll have to email you the edging pattern, it would be cute on a blanket or something too.

    Dude, those sandals were $10 TJ Maxx finds. (End of summer sale, I bought probably four pairs. August in NC? We're going.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for suggesting that the solution to a too-heavy scarf is to move someplace with a different gravitational constant. This is why we work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always practical.

    NEXT CRAFT PROJECT: MOON LANDER.

    ReplyDelete