3.21.2010

why am i here and who are you?

Take a look at this girl, blithely knitting away, not a care in the world: she had the brilliant idea of knitting a whole sweater during a cross-country road trip to New York City.

WHAT WAS SHE THINKING?!

Because here we are, two years later. That "easy, quick!" sweater was still sitting in a tangled mess in my knitting basket, neglected. Naturally, during the course of aforementioned road trip, I objected to an instruction in the pattern. My obsessive-compulsive, perfectionist self balked at knitting a sweater side-to-side because the increases and decreases would not look identical! This is the point at which most people would move on and accept the VERY slight difference between these features, but no, not me.

Instead, I do what I normally do: ignore the problem, stash the sweater away, and sulk until I forget that it exists.

But the obsessive-compulsive side of me always wins. Always. Because this was an unfinished project! We can't have those! I just pulled it out and began the process of repairing/ripping/trying to figure out what that vacationing brain of mine was thinking all those months ago. I think I have a plan, so full speed ahead, time to finish this sweater once and for all!

READER POLL: should I overdye this sweater once it's finished? The color is a lot brighter than I had intended. I'll knit some swatches and dye those first, of course, but please tell me what you think!

4 comments:

  1. Is this the shrug-like short sweater? I like the color! It looks like a darker version of Tiffany blue, but maybe my screen color isn't accurate. It looks perfect for spring. What colors are you thinking of dyeing it? If it's a smaller sweater a bright color seems okay, but if it would be a long-sleeved sweater brightness might be too much. It looks lovely to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you look at my projects on Ravelry, you can link to the original sweater pattern. It's supposed to be a vest/shrug thing. The color is kind of like our living room used to be! I was thinking of dyeing it with a dark blue or purple so it would come out sort of tie-dye. THAT might be overpowering! I'll knit some swatches with leftover yarn and see how it looks. It's for my mom, so if she likes the original I guess I'll leave it? =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Idea for next project:

    http://www.donnawilson.com/product.php?id_product=22

    ReplyDelete
  4. overdye = good, but definitely test it first, I ended up with a REALLY ugly combo (it was koolaid dying, and a ball of yarn that I think I had already pretty much ruined with my first dying job, so it wasn't a tragedy)

    you'll have to get some of those acid dyes to do the cotton, right? overdying cotton classic seems like a challenge to me

    ReplyDelete