1.27.2009

How I spent an awkward hour:

I took a knitting class.


It was a crazy thing for me to do, this knitting class. I mean, I've taught a whole bunch, but I've only ever taken one official knitting class! I was really excited. However, my impression of the class was far from favorable when I left the store. First of all, it was uncomfortably cold in the store, even for the other students and the TEACHER, so it wasn't just my hypersensitive self. Second, it felt like the "creative" title given to the class wasn't necessarily true. We talked a little about knitting creatively, but mostly we flipped through books and didn't really experiment with any real knitting. I guess it was the fault of the students as well as of the teacher: you can't just have a class without a real plan...and that's what had happened. So instead of getting a creative brainstorming session, we got an awkward, unplanned, vague hour.

Besides all that, I just didn't feel welcomed. One giant thing links people in a knitting store together: KNITTING! So let's see some enthusiasm here, people. We'll see how it goes on February 9th...we're meeting again...

No comments:

Post a Comment