7.06.2010

struck dumb but i'll give it a go

Okay, I didn't knit this. Obviously. This is Prada's fall 2010 campaign, which is discussed here. And yes, that is a giant knit handbag. A knit handbag!!! A Prada knit handbag! I wonder what it's made of, and I wonder how we (I, you) could copy it. I kind of really want one.

I'm going to start plotting...join me! Share ideas. What materials could we use (not that Rowan R2 Rag, it has been claimed for a soon-to-be-posted project already)? Kniterary Club, this is your moment to shine!

3 comments:

  1. i might have just the thing!
    there is a madelinetosh colorway called "port" that looks a lot like these colors: http://madelinetosh.com/images/12-1-09-colorway-sock-big/port-tosh-lace.jpg
    they have a bulky weight...don't know if they make it in that color though. or just hold a few strands of their merino worsted together perhaps?
    don't know about the base, but the color seems just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, I love your madelinetosh obsession! Will you ever be able to knit with anything else?

    I don't care what yarn we use, but we MUST make that bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would knit it in something really unusual, like ultrasuede fabric cut into a long strip, maybe 1/8 or 1/4 inch wide, and wound in a ball. Of course that's harder than just buying yarn, but I think the result might be worth it.

    I'd also consider heavy twine or something like it (hardware store trip), but that could make an unusual bag. A co-worker has an absolute knockout of a belt her mother crocheted for her from some kind of light line used to tie up a boat.

    I guess what I'm saying is I'd opt for a material that is anything other than yarn, even hand-spun, hand-dyed yarn.

    ReplyDelete